Ask the rabbi Halacha Waking Up in the Morning

Philosophy

Question
Shalom Ha Rav, I don’t know how to ask the question. Just I want to understand when we sleep in the night I heard that our soul (Nefesh or neshama don’t know exactly) will go to hashem and will return. How are we alive during this period. What happens if I sleep mid day ..Is it connected to night only? If I am not mistaken if Nefesh is the part keeping us alive does neshama go to hashem!
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. There are different parts, or levels, of the human soul. The lowest level, connected to maintaining the physical body, stays with the body during sleep (although even here, there are levels, and medically speaking, during sleep, many aspects of the body revert to a very low “maintance” level). Only the higher level, lofty part of the soul connects more the G-dly during sleep, and as such is “removed” from the body. This is connected to sleep – and not necessarily night time. Blessings.
More on the topic of Waking Up in the Morning