• Halacha
  • General Questions

Prayer beads

Rabbi David Sperling

Nisan 1, 5781
Question
I’m a Ben noach, and I came out of Catholicism, and in Catholicism, they use prayer beads to help keep track of prayer. My question is, if it’s permitted for me to use a specific type of prayer beads so I can focus on g-ds many attributes, or possible for praising him like: brkh atah Hm eloknu mlch haolam....etc. And can I use it as a fashion accessory? (Of course the beads will not have a cross, and will be designed differently than the other religions prayer beads)
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. Prayer beads are not a part of Jewish worship. However, if the beads would be made with no connection to Christian worship, and not ever used for Christian worship, then there would be no forbidden act in using them while praying to G-d. Nor is it forbidden to wear a string of beads as an accessory. Blessings.