תרומה זכר למחצית השקל - לישיבה הגדולה בעולם! תרמו כעת ועזרו לנו
Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Cooking and Heating

Cooking raw food on a covered flame

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanShevat 16, 5781
Question
Hi Rabbi, may one cook raw food on a covered flame on Shabbat if a timer is set up to cook the food on Shabbat and the timer is set up prior to Shabbat? (under Sephardic Minhag)
Answer
ב"ה Shalom I assume when you say the Sephardic minhag you are referring to Maran in the Shulchan Aruch, as opposed to the Rema who presents the Ashkenazi minhag. Also, my understanding is when you say a covered flame, you are referring to an electric food warmer. However, in this particular question Rav Ovadia Yoseph zt"l, Yabia Omer 10 :26) had a chiddush, that we can be lenient even in regard to liquids. That is to say; liquids which were cooked before Shabbat and became cool again, may be placed on the cold hotplate to be warmed later by a timer, even though according to Maran, in the Shulchan Aruch (318:4) foods that were cooked before Shabbat and became cold may not be cooked on Shabbat. But, even in regard to this novel idea of Rav Ovadia zt"l, his son Rav Avraham Yoseph shlit"a, restricted what his father said only to liquids that were once cooked, however, foods which were not cooked at all, one should be stringent. In summary , you should not place raw food to be cooked on Shabbat, even by a timer. All the best and שבת שלום
More on the topic of Cooking and Heating