תרומה זכר למחצית השקל - לישיבה הגדולה בעולם! תרמו כעת ועזרו לנו

Can I Donate A Chuppah That Resulted in Divorce?

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanTevet 7, 5781
21
Question
Hi! I have a beautiful chuppah that was custom made 20 years ago for my wedding and cost about $2000. I am deciding between giving it away or throwing it out in the garage. I'd prefer to give it away, but is there "bad karma" in the object? Would I somehow be cursing the next couple to get married under it?
Answer
ב"ה Shalom I am not aware of a reason not to donate it. I think the ack of Tzeddaka and kindness of giving it away can be a redeeming factor. I don't think you will be cursing any couple, G-d forbid. There are many Chuppa canopies out there from under which came some unhappy marriages, but also many happy marriages. In addition ,"Karma" is not a Jewish concept, so that that is not something we have to worry about. There is a Jewish concept of "Ayin Hara"- the evil eye, which is defined by Halacha when we have to be wary of it. For example, not to give two brothers an Aliya to the Torah, or two couples should not stand under the Chuppa at the same time because of Ayin Hara.(See Rema in Shulchan Aruch Even Ha'ezer 62:3) Furthermore, in regard to Ayin Hara, there are those who say that it only affects those who hold from the Ayin Hara. But, obviously you can tell the people or Shul you give it to, the background of the Chuppa and they can decide for themselves if they want to use it or not. All the Best