Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Other Appliances

Hourglass

Rabbi David SperlingTishrei 12, 5781
16
Question
The Rabbi stated you should not use an hourglass to measure time on Shabbat. Can I use a watch or clock with a second hand or a digital clock or watch that has the seconds to time something. Lets say the hourglass times 3 minutes. I can not use it on Shabbat but isnt using a watch or clock also measuring on Shabbat?
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. You are correct in thinking that timing with a watch is also a question of measuring on Shabbat. When using a sand timer would be forbidden, so too would timing by a watch. As we wrote, there are cases when using a timer is not measuring, but rather appointing out a turn in a game etc. Also, measuring for a mitzvah is allowed. I hope this is of some help, blessings.
More on the topic of Other Appliances