Ask the rabbi Halacha Dreams

Surfing Dreams

25
Question
Good morning, I am 20 years old male. I am at a stage in my life looking into a vocation. I like to surf. I keep dreaming about surfing every night for about a month? Why? I don’t believe in signs but does this mean anything? I wanted to consult a rabbi for clearance. I appreciate your thoughts and time Kind Regards Ronin Amodio
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. Firstly, let me send you a blessing from Jerusalem to be blessed to find a vocation that will be suited to you, and allow you to bring goodness to yourself and the whole world. In general we are taught not to make decisions based on dreams or signs. Rather one should use their rational abilities to decide things. Even ones emotions should be weighed up with one’s rational abilities – that is the fact that emotional you like or dislike something is one more factor to add to your rational considerations. As to the meaning of the dream, it is probably because you think about surfing in the day that you dream about it at night. It probably has no deeper significance than this. Most importantly – is surfing a good vocation for you? Without knowing you, or anything about making a living from surfing, it is hard to give you any good advice on this issue. However, I can encourage you (as a Rabbi) to think about how such a career would fit into your Jewish life. Will it allow you to live and grow as a Jew? Again, Blessings.
More on the topic of Dreams