• Torah and Jewish Thought
  • General Questions

Identity of the "son of man" in Daniel 7:13

Rabbi Ari Shvat

Av 10, 5780
Question
"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven." Who is the "son of man" in the context of the passage in (Daniel 7:13)?
Answer
As opposed to the previous 4 animal-like figures mentioned there (the lion-like, bear--like, leopard-like, and the "dreadful and terrible beast'), who represent the previous 4 national super-powers (respectively: Babylon, Persia, Greece and Rome), the 5th and final national super power will be Israel, called the "son of man" (i.e. not animalistic), as detailed there in v. 14 & 27: "And the kingdom and dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven [= in the world], shall be given to the nation of the lofty holy ones, whose kingdom is an everlasting one...". Some say that "son of man" refers to the king/messiah of Israel from the house of David, but the 2 commentaries really compliment each other, where one stresses more the nation of Israel (parallel and as opposed to the previous national super-powers), and the other stresses the individual leader of that nation (as more inferred by the term "son of man").