Ask the rabbi Halacha Way of Prayer

Stepping back & forward in the Amidah

Rabbi David SperlingNisan 19, 5780
77
Question
The way you describe the process based on the Mishna Berura is what I was taught. My question is after starting the Amidah and stepping back starting with the left foot & then right then left ending with the feet together - do you then step forward with the same process with the right foot or left foot? And which foot do you start stepping backwards at the end of the Amidah and of course which foot do you step forward with? Thank you.
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. The way to take the three steps backwards at the end of the Amidah is as I wrote in the previous answer – starting with the left foot, then right, then left. When taking steps forward we reverse the process and do a small step with the right foot, a longer one step with the left foot, and then a final short step with the right foot again, bring both feet into line with each other. So, in short, when moving away we use our left (weaker) foot first, to show our reluctance. But when advancing, we use our right foot to show our eagerness. Blessings.
More on the topic of Way of Prayer