• Family and Society
  • General Questions

Washing the Kedusha of Soil of Eretz Yisrael

Rabbi Ari Shvat

Adar 5, 5772
Question
Dear Rabbi, I have a slightly strange question, yet it feels like an important one to ask. I was recently in Israel and did some hiking. I managed to get my shoes covered in mud. I did not get a chance to wash them before returning to Chutz l’Aretz. Now I’m back in the UK, it feels strange washing soil from Eretz haKedusha down my plughole here. Is there any discussion or halacha regarding this or am I just being over-sensitive? Many thanks for your time!
Answer
Shalom, I just received your question and am answering immediately. I admire your sensitivity for the kdusha of Eretz Yisrael, but no, there is no problem to wash it down the drain, just as we do all the time in Israel. Nevertheless, just like a man who loves his wife surely wants to be with her, the best way to properly show respect and love for the holiness of Eretz Yisrael is by moving here as soon as possible! With Love of Israel, Rav Ari Shvat