Ask the rabbi Halacha Eggs

Eggs, Garlic Onions Unpeeled Overnight

Rabbi Ari ShvatIyyar 21, 5772
594
Question
Regarding leaving peeled eggs, onions, or garlic overnight, i’ve heard that mixing another food with them will eliminate the danger of ru’ach ra’ah. Can you tell me what foods can be mixed with them, and how much must I put in to make the eggs, onions, or garlic OK?
Answer
Shalom Avi, You are correct, that mixing other foods solves the problem of peel-less onion, garlic or eggs. It’s enough to mix in a small amount, as long as it’s felt in the taste. So for eggs which will be used for cakes, you can add before going to sleep about 2% sugar, or for salty recipes like for making burekas, 1% salt is enough (that's what mashgichim suggest, but maybe even less, as soon as it affects the taste, Resp. Divrei Yatziv, Y.D. 33). A simpler solution is to leave a little of the peel in the dish with them, and that solves the problem. With Love of Israel! Rav Ari Shvat
More on the topic of Eggs