Ask the rabbi Torah and Jewish Thought General Questions

What is context in Devarim 31:24-30

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanTishrei 29, 5780
30
Question
As long-time students of Tanach and Talmud, my friends and I have had difficulty understanding a portion of Devarim 31:27-30. The text relates Moshe Rabenu charged the Levites who carried the Ark of the Covenant of the Hashem and told them the following. https://www.sefaria.org/Deuteronomy.31?lang=bi&aliyot=0 "לָקֹחַ אֵת סֵפֶר הַתּוֹרָה הַזֶּה וְשַׂמְתֶּם אֹתוֹ מִצַּד אֲרוֹן בְּרִית־ה’ אֱלֹקיכֶם וְהָֽיָה־שָׁם בְּךָ לְעֵֽד׃ Take this book of Teaching and place it beside the Ark of the Covenant of the LORD your God, and let it remain there as a witness against you. כִּי אָנֹכִי יָדַעְתִּי אֶֽת־מֶרְיְךָ וְאֶֽת־עָרְפְּךָ הַקָּשֶׁה הֵן בְּעוֹדֶנִּי חַי עִמָּכֶם הַיּוֹם מַמְרִים הֱיִתֶם עִם־ה’ וְאַף כִּי־אַחֲרֵי מוֹתִֽי׃ Well I know how defiant and stiff-necked you are: even now, while I am still alive in your midst, you have been defiant toward the LORD; how much more, then, when I am dead! הַקְהִילוּ אֵלַי אֶת־כָּל־זִקְנֵי שִׁבְטֵיכֶם וְשֹׁטְרֵיכֶם וַאֲדַבְּרָה בְאָזְנֵיהֶם אֵת הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה וְאָעִידָה בָּם אֶת־הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֶת־הָאָֽרֶץ׃ Gather to me all the elders of your tribes and your officials, that I may speak all these words to them and that I may call heaven and earth to witness against them. כִּי יָדַעְתִּי אַחֲרֵי מוֹתִי כִּֽי־הַשְׁחֵת תַּשְׁחִתוּן וְסַרְתֶּם מִן־הַדֶּרֶךְ אֲשֶׁר צִוִּיתִי אֶתְכֶם וְקָרָאת אֶתְכֶם הָֽרָעָה בְּאַחֲרִית הַיָּמִים כִּֽי־תַעֲשׂוּ אֶת־הָרַע בְּעֵינֵי ה’ לְהַכְעִיסוֹ בְּמַעֲשֵׂה יְדֵיכֶֽם׃ For I know that, when I am dead, you will act wickedly and turn away from the path that I enjoined upon you, and that in time to come misfortune will befall you for having done evil in the sight of the LORD and vexed Him by your deeds. וַיְדַבֵּר מֹשֶׁה בְּאָזְנֵי כָּל־קְהַל יִשְׂרָאֵל אֶת־דִּבְרֵי הַשִּׁירָה הַזֹּאת עַד תֻּמָּֽם׃ (פ) Then Moses recited the words of this poem to the very end, in the hearing of the whole congregation of Israel: " Please help us with some understanding of the Talmud’s concept of his knowledge of future mishaps or possible holocausts which would befall them for doing evil and deeds that would be contrary to Hashem? Thank you for your reply
Answer
ב"ה Shalom The psukim= verses , you quoted are just before the portion of Ha'azinu. The Ramban=Nachmanides, sees the portion of Ha'azinu, as a description of Jewish history including the destruction of the first and second Temples, to the extent that he says, that even if the prophecy had been given by an astrologer it should listened to, since everything predicted took place. How much more so, says Nachmanides, should we believe since it was given to us by the master of all prophets, Moshe.