david’s line

Rabbi Ari ShvatCheshvan 22, 5772
169
Question
Dear Rabbi In continuance of this subject please advise what Shammai and Hillel said on this subject Re the translation scepter . Is there no other interpretation after all if Abraham served milk and meat at the same time why is this taken as milk followed by meat and not together as specifically stated and as is the custom of Arabs who continue Abrahams practice and serve milk and meat at the same time . regards mike
Answer
I am not familiar with another traditional explanation, and all explain it as referring to the king’s staff and scepter. The kingdom of Judah is mentioned also in the previous verse: “the sons of your father (poetic for: brothers) shall bow down to you”, and the continuation, “and the obedience of the nations will be his”. Accordingly, there's no reason to stubbornly look for alternative explanation. In general, there is so much to learn, I suggest not to get “stuck” on one verse for too long. All the Best, Rav Ari Shvat