• All the Questions

Removing Mezuzos

Rabbi David Sperling

Tevet 27, 5779
Question
I am selling my house to another Jew, am I allowed to remove my Mezuzos? Thank you
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. Upon leaving a house, if one knows that other Jews are moving in then one is obligated to leave their mezuzot on the doors (Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh Deah 291,2). In such a case you may request that the next owner pay you for the value of the mezuzot, but even if they refuse to pay, you may not take down the mezuzot. If your present mezuzot are special to you (for example they were given to you as a special gift), or they are very expensive, then you may take them down and replace them with other kosher but cheaper mezuzot. In such a case you should take them down with the intent to check the old ones, and then replace them with the new ones. All this only applies to the mezuzah itself – but the case may certainly be taken down. So feel free to remove any nice mezuzah cases you have, and just leave the mezuzah scroll itself attached to the doorframe in a cheap casing or container. May your move be for a blessing.