Ask the rabbi Torah and Jewish Thought General Questions

Hashkafa

Rabbi David SperlingTevet 24, 5779
53
Question
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with the source of the following teaching. It goes something along the lines that Hashem gave every person a certain amount of words that he will say in his lifetime and if he uses them up sooner he will die sooner but if he saves his words then he will live longer (but words of Torah/Mitzvos aren’t included). Are you familiar with that teaching and do you know its source? (I am saying a shiur on Pirkei Avos 1:17 (וְלֹא מָצָאתִי לַגּוּף טוֹב אֶלָּא שְׁתִיקָה) and I would be very grateful to know the source) Thank you
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. Unfortunately I am unaware of such a teaching. However our Rabbis teach us that “I've never heard such a thing” is no proof at all that it isn't true. So the fact that I have not heard such a teaching is no proof at all to anything other than my limited knowledge! Please let me know if you do find a source for this – it sounds very interesting. Blessings.