Ask the rabbi Halacha Times of Day and of Prayer

times-morning prayers

Question
My work schedule has changed. I now work from 6AM-2PM. In my city (Atlanta, GA USA) dawn arrives at 6:20AM. Next month, when we switch to standard time, dawn will arrive before 6AM but tallis & tefillin will only be at 6:15 or so. I work in hashgacha and could make the time but finding a place to daven at work might not be possible. What should I do? thankyou
Answer
י"א כסלו תשע"א I only recently received your question. The Shulchan Aruch says that under extreme circumstances one may daven and also say Kriyat Shema after "Amud Hashachar" which is before sunrise. However, even under these circumstances, the Magen Avraham and Mishna Brura both say that the bracha of "Yotzer Or" should not be said until the time of Talit and Tefillin. In regard to putting on Talit and Tefillin, one who must leave his home early may put them on before "Amud Hashachar" but may not say the Bracha until the time of Talit and Tefillin. When that time comes he should move his Tefillin a bit and then say the Bracha. (שולחן ערוך אורח חיים סימן נח סעיף ג, ,משנה ברורה סימן נח ס"ק יז שולחן ערוך אורח חיים סימן ל סעיף ג , משנה ברורה סימן פט ס"ק א
More on the topic of Times of Day and of Prayer