Ask the rabbi Halacha Medications and Vitamins

Brocha for Taking Medicine?

Rabbi David Samson26 Tishrei 5763
784
Question
I take Inderal every day to prevent migraine headaches. How can I find out if it is kosher? What bracha should I say before taking it?
Answer
Inderal is a synthetically manufactured chemical and is thereby kosher. No bracha should be recited for the medicine. Refuah Shlema,
Rabbi David Samson is one of the leading English-speaking Torah scholars in the Religious-Zionist movement in Israel. He has co-authored four books on the writings of Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Hacohen Kook and Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Kook. Rabbi Samson learned for twelve years under the tutelage of Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Kook. He served as Rabbi of the Kehillat Dati Leumi Synagogue in Har Nof, Jerusalem, and teaches Jewish Studies at Mercaz HaRav Yeshiva Institutions.
Tzvi Fishman was a successful Hollywood screenwriter before making Aliyah to Israel in 1984. He has co-authored several Torah works with Rabbi David Samson and written several books on Jewish/Israel topics.
More on the topic of Medications and Vitamins