Maskillim

Rabbi Berel Wein19 Adar I 5763
521
Question
I very much enjoy your tapes and books. Wanted to ask a quick question regarding the Maskillim. I remember listening to one of your tapes describing a certain Orthodox Rabbi who was a Maskill that supported the Maskillim, is that a contradiction in terms? Could a person be both a sincere Orthodox Jew and a Maskill at the same time, I always thought Maskillim, were anti-religious and supported the Enlightenment. Please let me know
Answer
The term maskil referred to "enlightened" Jews. There were many maskilim who were personally observant and not non-believers. However, the movement of Haskala itself was basically anti-religious and most of the leaders of the Haskala were anti-religious and agnostics. Best wishes. Rabbi Berel Wein