Hair cut

718
Question
I cut my own hair using a Remington Precision device. What length blade guard do I need to ensure observance of the rule against cutting Payot: 1/4", 3/8" etc? In other words, how long does the hair above the ears need to be? I have heard that it should be a Tefisah, or an amount sufficient to grab. How long is that?
Answer
A knowledgeable contact of mine sent the following information: “I have always read that a standard number 2 is long enough to avoid cutting one's payot. Since his machine is a beard trimmer it might not have the standard numbers that a hair cutter does, however, a standard number two is approximately ¼ of a inch, so if he has inch lengths on his machine that is how long he should keep it. “