Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Reading, Writing and Paperwork

Study on Shabbat

Question
I read on this site that you can read non-jewish related books on shabbat (in response to a student who asked if he could write on shabbat, the rabbi said no, but he could read). i have also heard, though, that you can not even read seforim on shabbat that are not related to judaism etc. i have exams coming up and my parents want me to read my notes/textbooks on shabbat. from what i had previously heard, i have so far not done so. to ease the tension (and b"h do well in exams) could i get a definite answer as to whether i can or not? thank you very much!
Answer
Sefaradim cannot study anything but Torah on Shabbat. Ashkenazim are allowed to study not-Torah on Shabbat (such as for exams). Study of things that are forbidden on Shabbat such as theory studies for driving is forbidden. Rabbi Yair Wasserteil
More on the topic of Reading, Writing and Paperwork