Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Cooking and Heating

Cooking on Shabbat

Various RabbisShevat 4, 5768
1353
Question
What types of food are considered dry, and allowed to be reheated on Shabbat? In Yalkut Yosef it mentions that, most of the item being dry, as enough. I know that other Poskim are more strict about it. What is the final halacha? I heard from a Rav here in Canada that Rav Ovadia Yosef shlita has reversed his opinion on the matter?
Answer
Ashkenazim Pasken that dry and fully cooked foods or damp (Lach) but still warm - can be reheated on Shabbat. There are Ashkenazim who are slightly lenient and allow also a minimal amount of gravy. Sfardi Poskim by the Yalkut Yosef write that it should be mostly dry and one should be Machmir. By Rav Mazuz and Or Letzion only if there is a small amount of gravy is it permissable to reheat on Shabbat. Rav Ovadia reversed his opinion when he said one should be Machmir and have only a minimal amount of gravy. Rabbi Yitzchak Grinblat
More on the topic of Cooking and Heating