Ask the rabbi Torah and Jewish Thought Rabbi and his Students

Was Rav Kook a Vegetarian?

Various Rabbis17 Av 5767
Question
L’Kavod Ha Rabanim M’Beit El, I am fairly new to the teachings of Rav Kook (both Rav Avraham Yitzchak z"tl and Rav Tzvi Yehuda, z"tl), and I have been extremely impressed with what I have learned so far. I recently saw an article online which claims that Rav Avraham Yitzchak was a vegetarian. Is this true? If I’m striving to live by Rav Kook’s teachings (i.e. G-d willing making aliyah soon) should I also become a vegetarian? Is it common practice for those who learned directly from Rav Avraham Yitzchak or Rav Tzvi Yehudah to be vegetarian today?
Answer
Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Kook was not a vegetarian. Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda ate as a vegetarian for a short while because of health reasons. The article by Rabbi Kook on the subject is a vision rather than guidance. Rabbi Yaakov Cohen
More on the topic of Rabbi and his Students