Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays The Nine Days

Nine days

Various RabbisIyyar 6, 5768
735
Question
Hello, i have a question on the time between the 1. Aw and the 9. Aw. what is exectly aloud and what not. I already know, that switching fresh clothes, eating meat, drink wine and have fun is not aloud. but what is exactly having fun. am i alowed to watch TV or go playing basketball or do other sports. I hope you can answer the question, because I didn’t find any approximated informations on this. thank you very much
Answer
Anything that is done for health is allowed, what is done just for enjoyment is forbidden. Therefore a basketball game for fitness is allowed; for enjoyment os forbidden. A bath in luke warm water is allowed for cleanliness; for enjoyment is forbidden (A hot water shower is forbidden). Rabbi Binyamin Bamberger
More on the topic of The Nine Days