Ask the rabbi Family and Society Brit Mila - Circumcision

Re-circumcision?

Various Rabbis9 Tammuz 5767
1486
Question
This is a very personal and embarrassing question. Like most Jewish boys, I had my bris when I was 8 days old. But, over the years, my foreskin has grown back. Now at age 46, its regrowth is so complete, that even a urologist automatically assumes I am uncircumcised. Is there a RELIGIOUS reason or obligation for me to be re-circumcised? If so, should it be done by a mohel or can I let a surgeon do it using anesthesia? I am so terrified of being cut down there and enduring the healing process. Thank you.
Answer
The Shulchan Aruch in Yoreh Deah (244) writes that you have to redo your Brit (circumcision). It is very important you do this as it proclaims your Jewishness and your connection to the rest of the Jewish nation. This act portrays the covenant between us and Hashem. This can be done by a doctor or a surgeon but it should be done by religious Jew. You can certainly use anesthesia. Bebirkat Hatorah, Rabbi Yosef Weitzen
More on the topic of Brit Mila - Circumcision