תרומה זכר למחצית השקל - לישיבה הגדולה בעולם! תרמו כעת ועזרו לנו
Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

Taxes and Charity

Rabbi Chaim Tabasky18 Tevet 5767
644
Question
In Israel the average tax that most pay is very high. As is known publicly, a large amount (more than 10% of the yearly budget) goes to the Bituach Leumi, which gives "charity" (in it’s own way). If I give 40% of my income in taxes, and the taxes I pay go at least 10% to charity, can this be counted as givin charity also? (I’m not trying to reconcile bills with G--d, G--d forbid. Only the Alachich point of view interests me).
Answer
I have seen poskim that say that no tax, including bituach le'umi, counts as maaser, but others disagree. Since there is an opinion that maaser is a custom and not a halachic obligation, one can be lenient. One who is in financial distress does not have to be strict concerning the various opinions in regards to maaser.