Ask the rabbi Halacha Christianity and Islam

Forced to study Christian theology

1130
Question
Shalom uvracha I am a 17 year old South African, as part of my school studies we have to study english poetry. Majority of these poems are written by priests or christian theoligists. Unfortunately in order to pass year 12 I am forced to study these poems. How does one react/What should one do??? and is it asur to study such material.
Answer
One can study writings of Christian authors or poets, regardless to the position they may hold in the church; One, however, should not study Christian theology. If you are forced to study that which is prohibited by your religion I would recommend you to contact the chief rabbi of South Africa, Rabbi Warren (Ze’ev) Goldstein, and discuss the matter with him, since I know him to be held with great esteem and have great influence within the South African non-Jewish community as well as within the Jewish.
More on the topic of Christianity and Islam