Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

Unreligious Fashion design school

Rabbi Elchanan Lewis29 Cheshvan 5766
701
Question
I am very interested in learning fashion design. I want to design clothing for religious girls. I think it is very lacking in Israel and is a very important job. The only place to get a degree is in Shenkar, which is a non religious Design school. Is there any problem going there? i would probably be the only religious girl in my class and would be with non religious people all day for 4 years while I would be in that school. Thank You.
Answer
Orthodox Jews and even prominent rabbis have been learning secular studies in non religious and even non Jewish schools and universities for many decades; wanting to design kosher cloths for modest Jewish girls is a noble cause. The issue is not so much Halachic but rather educational. Studying in such a place can be an insightful academic experience, which is not a problem and in many cases even recommended; yet the non religious (and in some cases anti-religious) environment might be a negative influence if you are incapable to tackle such non supportive environment, one should weigh the pros and cons carefully. You might find it productive to consult with a rabbi or an educator that knows you better in order to make the right decision for you. All the best