Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Havdalah

Havdalah not on wine

Rabbi Elchanan Lewis30 Tishrei 5766
564
Question
While davening Maariv at a synagogue at the end of the first day of Sukkot in Yerushalayim I thought of Havdalah. It was not the custom at that synagogue to make Havdalah there. When I got home I realized that I did not have wine, but thought I would make it then on another beverage. In a sense I did that, but without the proper Kavanah of making Havdalah then, although I had originally intended it as such. What is the Halacha in such a case ? If it does not count because of the lack of Kavanah in the actual act, how can I to Tikkun for the Avera ?
Answer
Though it's better if we have Kavanah for every word of prayer we say, if you said the blessings of the Havdalah, knowing you are doing a Havdalah, that is a sufficient Kavanah and you have fulfilled your obligation of the Havdalah. In any event, learning the Halachot of Havdalah and making sure this will not repeat itself is the best Tikun.
More on the topic of Havdalah