Ask the rabbi Family and Society Conversion

Is Converting for Marriage Valid?

817
Question
If a person converts in order to marry a secular, non-observant Jew is this conversion valid? I know that in theory the whole point of converting in the first place is to accept the authority of the Torah and live as a Jew. However in practice, as I’m sure you’re aware, most conversions are pre-cursors to weddings that would otherwise be intermarriages and have little bearing on the post-conversion habits of the convert. On one hand, it seems that this would not really be a valid conversion (and I know in Israel conversions can be denied in situations where the convert isn’t actually living a Jewish life). OTOH, we aren’t allowed to judge "born" Jews on what mitzvot they do or don’t do, are converts subject to a different standard?
Answer
Conversion requires acceptance of the Torah's truth and authority. A child born to a Jewish mother remains Jewish whatever his beliefs. A valid conversion requires a recognized Orthodox Beit Din. If such a Beit Din converted someone you should assume that all the relevant questions were asked and that the person converted to Judaism by that Beit Din passed the requirements.
More on the topic of Conversion