Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Yom Ha'atzmaut - Independance Day

Yom Haatzmaut Prayers

Rabbi Chaim Tabasky30 Nisan 5765
706
Question
In many shuls it has become traditional to recite Hallel on Yom Ha’atmaut. This year, because of disagreement with the Government over withdrawal from Gaza, some Rabbis may seek to disallow this recitation as a protest. Please comment on the ethically of such an action since a tradition to recite Hallel has already been established.
Answer
Hallel is recited on Yom HaAtzmaut as a thanks to HaShem for the existance of a Jewish State, which without doubt saved Millions of Jews throughout the world from anhihilation and assimilation. Those who deny the miraculous nature of the events in 1948, or who see a contradiction between the secular Zionist State and HaShem's desires, have never said Hallel on YH"A, and may draw support from present events, but I fail to understand how the actions of a particular government can make us less thankful for the woundrous opportunity of living in the Holy Land and participating in the redemption process, with all of its frustrations and drawbacks. It is my understanding that the small minority of Rabbis who said they would not say Hallel this year, did not issue it as a general decree.
More on the topic of Yom Ha'atzmaut - Independance Day
Ask a follow-up question

It is not possible to send messages to the Rabbis through replies system.