Ask the rabbi Family and Society Conversion

Converts and Nusach

Rabbi Chaim Tabasky16 Nisan 5765
739
Question
Rabbi; I’m a convert (al pi halacha) and I am confused as to what I’m supposed to do with regards to selecting a nusach. My community is Chabad and is the only Orthodox shul in town, but due to their certain teachings (ie: Rebbe is Moshiach), I am reluctant to pick up their minhagim and thus associate with them. Since my family obviously has no nusach/minhagim, can I just randomly pick one and are there any issues associated with davening a different nusach than the congregation?
Answer
The halacha does not mandate a specific way of choosing minhag or nusach. You should aim with an identification with community (not necessarily the shul you doven in, but a wider community, whether Chassidic, Sepherdic, or what have you) which is halachically valid and will help you realize your spiritual goals. While total conformity with a particular community is not always possible, I think a sense of identification is important. I would certainly suggest that at the outset you do what feels right, while finding a competant Rabbinic guide to help you choose. If you tell me where you are we might be able to find someone close to home to work with. Much success!
More on the topic of Conversion