• Family and Society

Chuppa Processions?

Various Rabbis

20 Iyyar 5765
Question
My Chatan’s Rabbi told my Chatan that because my parents are divorced they should not escort me to the Chuppa together. Before I inform my parents about this I would like to make 100% sure that this is completely necessary or if it’s a custom that can be forgone for Shalom Bait.
Answer
There used to be a custom for devorced parents not to escort their child to the Chuppa since it isn't a good sign. But since it can hurt the parent's feelings we cannot deny them of escorting their child, a parent with hurt feelings is not a good sign as well. So the solution is that except for the parents other relatives to join the escort, i.e. grandmother & grandfather, or aunt & uncle, and walk beside them. Even though the parents will be closer to the Kalla/Chatan the other relatives will be considered the main best-men. Rabbi Eliezer Melamed