Ask the rabbi Family and Society Conversion

Conversion for Infants

Rabbi Jonathan Blass4 Shevat 5765
385
Question
I got married with a Turkish woman who does not intend to convert to Judaism but accepts her children to become Jew. My question is, who can help me in Israel to discuss this conversion and what would be the process. We’re ready to convert and raise our future children to Judaism.
Answer
I don't think a respectable beit din would convert children at this point because they would be growing up in a home where one parent was gentile and the other was a non-observant Jew. How could children be expected to accept the authority of the Torah - a prerequisite to conversion - if neither of their parents do? You should consider delaying having children until your wife is willing to convert. If after her conversion you are blessed with children they will be Jewish from birth and not need conversion.
More on the topic of Conversion