Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

Bet Din Unilateral Rulings

Various Rabbis25 Cheshvan 5765
262
Question
My separation agreement was written in Bet Din and all modifications happen through Bet Din. Recently, Bet Din allowed me to go to court to collect monies owed by my ex husband as per the Bet Din agreement. One this past occassion, over school lunch, the Bet Din gave my ex a document absolving him from school lunch. He proudly produced it in court and it will be enforceable. My question is, am I bound by this unilateral ruling that I was not even notified of? I question the legitimacy of this Bet Din.
Answer
You should check with the Beit Din why the document was given without your knowledge and approval. It may have been done due to a misunderstanding that can be fixed. Rabbi Zalman Baruch Melamed