Ask the rabbi Family and Society Aliya

Israel vs. Parents

Various Rabbis9 Tishrei 5765
Question
I was in Eretz Yisrael for 3 years and now I am back in america in college. I would like to come back when I graduate at the end of this year to Eretz Yisrael and do Hesder in Yeshiva. The problem is I have a very good relationship with my parents and they would be very very worried if I did join the army. I do not know what to do so I wanted know if you could give me any of your advice.
Answer
Our sages direct not to comply when one's parents object to him doing a big Mitzva, and joining the Israeli army is no doubt a great and important Mitzva. Hence, though your parents will worry about you, as do most parents of soldiers, it's not a reason to give up on such a significant Mitzva. My advice is to come to Israel, join the army, and keep in contact with your parents and calm them so that they won't worry. Rabbi Dov Lior
More on the topic of Aliya