Ask the rabbi Family and Society The Temple and Sacrifices

Finding Relevance

Question
I am having difficulty finding relevance in some sections of the Torah. It is difficult for me to see how instructions for offerings at the Temple (which is long gone) that were to be carried out by the Cohanim are relevant to me today. It is difficult for me to properly study these sections since I keep thinking, "This has nothing to do with me". Obviously this is not the proper attitude to take towards the study of any portion of the Torah. I am having difficulty overcoming it. Do you have any advice?
Answer
The laws regarding the worship at the Temple will be applied daily once, with G-d's help, the Temple is rebuilt. Even before then, important principles of both halacha and Jewish thought are derived from them. Read the commentaries on these verse and search for those explanations that have meaning for you.
More on the topic of The Temple and Sacrifices