Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Kitniot

Kitniyot Oils

Rabbi Jonathan Blass27 Nisan 5764
2666
Question
Hi We are planning on going to the seder by someone who uses Kitniyot Oils, I know In America many kashrut organazations are machmir on even the Oils from Kitniyot , but I have heard that there is is a difference of opinion especially here in Israel. Someone said it is something people are starting to be machmir on. Now that I’m in Israel b’h I would like to know what the general minhag is here. can we eat there? (yes we are all Ashkenaz) Toda Rabba
Answer
Unless you have a clear family Minhag, rapeseed oil (Canola or liftit in Hebrew) is definitely permissible; I permit the use of soy oil since it is produced in a process in which it is not allowed to come into contact with water until after it is cooked in petroleum by-products. Corn oil is kitniyot.
More on the topic of Kitniot