Ask the rabbi Torah and Jewish Thought Questions on Hashem

Believing Without Sources

Rabbi Jonathan Blass15 Tevet 5764
353
Question
Without saying it says so in the bible, please tell me how you know that there is a God. I have heard alot of answers, but I have never before asked a Jewish person.
Answer
As a non- Jew, your belief in G-d is less important than your observance of the seven Noachide commandments: not to kill; not to steal, not to worship idols, not to commit adultery or incest; not to blaspheme; not to eat limbs removed from a live animal; and to live in a community with a fair system of courts. Observe these commandments while developing positive personal attributes- return favors, respect those worthy of respect, be good to your friends and compassionate to others- and you will be doing all that Judaism requires of a Gentile. The belief in G-d is based on a recognition of the world as not accidental or arbitrary but as reflecting an intelligence (which is not in itself G-d; any defintion of G-d is idolatrous). The continued existence of the Jewish People and the restoration of the Jews to the Land of Israel- this against all odds and against unrrelenting antisemitic persecution- supports the belief. Again, even if you are unconvinced by a five line explanation- your actions are important.
More on the topic of Questions on Hashem