Moving to Israel

338
Question
Can you tell me why even the Lubbavitch Rabbi never visited Israel if he was so loving of Eretz Israel? I was told the reason that many Chassidim don’t visit Israel is because they would have to stay in Israel for good once they arrive!!! Is that true?
Answer
You should address your first question to a Chabad rabbi who is familiar with the explanations given. Regarding your second question: All Jews are required- either by Mitzvat Yishuv Eretz Yisrael (Ramban) or by virtue of the completeness that can be achieved only in the Land of Israel (Rambam Hilchot M'lachim 5; Kuzari)- to live in the Land of Israel whether or not they have visited. Someone who has come to Israel as a tourist has not altered his status (Shu"t Maharit Tzahalon).