Av 10, 5777

Tallit/Talis for Gentile

Rabbi Ari Shvat

Question:
Can I wear a Tallit while praying if Im not a Jew? Also off that subject, what would be my best avenue to learn the Hebrew language? Thanks

Answer:
The best way to speak to God is straight from your heart in your mother tongue. You need not pray in Hebrew, nor with a Talit, just as you dont have to say the prayers in the Jewish prayer-book, but simply speak to your Father in Heaven with the proper respect you would also give a King. If you want, you can utilize a Jewish prayer-book to give you ideas and help educate yourself how to praise/ask/thank God, and in general, to what we should want out of life. Some authorities like Maimonides/Rambam and the Meiri, say that gentiles can perform most mitzvot, while others disagree, so if you wish, you can adorn a Tallit, as well, and rely on those who allow it.
All the best!