Nisan 7, 5773

Chutz Laaretz - 2 days Yom Tov

Rabbi Yoel Lieberman

Question:
Hi.
Basically my family live in Israel. We made aliyah a few years ago. This year for the first time, we are doing one of the Sholosh Regalim in England (chutz laaretz). I asked a Rav about halochos of it and he told me that practically Ill be keeping 2 days because you cant even do melacha chedrei chadarim (in private). My grandfather asked the Rov of his shul and was told the opposite, namely that you can do melacha chedrei chadarim as long as youre not doing it publicly. Even if the Rav is not going to Pasken, please can you inform me of all the different sources for the argument and where its quoted.
Thanks,
Ari

Answer:
The issue is discussed in the Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim
( )
The prevalent minhag is not to do melacha even when not in front of others as your Rav told you. See Aruch Hashulchan(' : , " ) .
On the other hand, some poskim are lenient in regard to certain Melachot, when the action can be explained that is one done in a permissible manner by the ben Eretz Yisrael who is currently abroad , although in actuality it was not done in would not be permissible for someone who lioves all the time abroad.
See (" " )
There are many other details involved and therefore our Chazal have taught us to choose a Rav and follow what he says.
Chag Same'ach.