Adar 17, 5772

Tovelling food storage / preparation items

Rabbi Moshe Leib Halberstadt

Question:
Hi, do food storage and prep items that will not be brought to the table require tovelling? I have read that a thermometer does not need it, but unsure if glass jar i have bought to blend cold foods in or to store food in require tovelling. thank you

Answer:
Dishes which come in contact with food in its initial preparation stage, and the food needs further preparation [after using the dish], in order to prepare it for eating, such as a sifter, stainless steel rolling pin, dough dishes, Shechitah (slaughtering) knife - immerse without reciting a Brachah.

Dishes which the food becomes edible during their use such as pots and pans – require immersion with a Brachah.
(Shulchan Aruch and Rema Yoreh Deah 120, 5. Sefer Hakashrut of Rabbi Fuchs 4, 19 & notes).

Dishes used to store food, if the food is always wrapped such as tea bags or wrapped candy – they do not require immersion. Dishes which contain food that is in direct contact with them, if the dish is used only for storing – it should be immersed without a Brachah.

Storage dishes which are brought occasionally to the table, and people eat out of it - require immersion with a Brachah.
(Sefer Hakashrut of Rabbi Fuchs 4, 20 & notes).