Funded by a grant from the
William P. and Marie R. Lowenstein Foundation

3 Shevat 5763

Gezerah upon another Gezerah

Rabbi David Samson

Question:
I learnt that the Rabbanim don’t make a geder on a geder so why is eating milk not allowed imedietly after eating chicken, since chicken is not allowed to be eaten with meat because of a geder and waiting 6 hours is a geder which makes this a geder on a geder?

Answer:
The rule about not making a gezerah upon another gezerah is not an iron clad rule. There are many cases where we do make a gezerah upon another.
The Tosafot in Shabbat 21a explains that when something is prohibited in and of itself even though the prohibition is Rabinical we can apply another gezerah upon it.

Rabbi David Samson is one of the leading English-speaking Torah scholars in the Religious-Zionist movement in Israel. He has co-authored four books on the writings of Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Hacohen Kook and Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Kook. Rabbi Samson learned for twelve years under the tutelage of Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Kook. He served as Rabbi of the Kehillat Dati Leumi Synagogue in Har Nof, Jerusalem, and teaches Jewish Studies at Mercaz HaRav Yeshiva Institutions.
Tzvi Fishman was a successful Hollywood screenwriter before making Aliyah to Israel in 1984. He has co-authored several Torah works with Rabbi David Samson and written several books on Jewish/Israel topics.